Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Um....Really???

I am currently taking an Old Testament History class. One of the discussion questions last week was how are we created in the image of God. So I answered and in my answer I stated that God has a body of flesh and bones. The professor responded to my answer. Stating, "This is not true," and then continued on to say God is a spirit and God is sexless. Um...did I tell him he had to believe what I believe. Are we not allowed to have our own opinion. Not everyone who goes to this school is of one religion. Yes, it is a Christian school but that does NOT mean we all believe the same thing. I was quite bothered with his response. And you better believe I responded and told him that I do disagree with his opinions and no one has the right to judge or tell someone what they believe is not true. I do not go around and tell everyone in that class that what they believe is not true. Let's be professional please, I could see this comment coming from a fellow student but not the professor. Am I wrong in my thoughts on this?
{Stepping down from my soapbox}

5 comments:

Zach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zach said...

The professor displayed an incredible amount of ignorance, he's teaching an old testament course where there is no evidence to support the concept that God is "sexless". I love it when they assume facts based on the complete abscence of information in text. "God doesn't say he's male or female so that MUST mean he's asexual..." But that same can be said of the other side as well. You're right he should stick to teaching about actual events of the old testament, not about his personal concept of deity.

heather said...

Not at all. You definitely have the right to tell him you simply believe differently from him.

AND there is just no Biblical support of his statement. I agree with Zach.

Walters Family said...

You are TOTALLY in the right! You go girl for standing up to that stupid, ignorant professor!

Thomas Wold said...

Hi,

You certainly have a right to your opinion--especially about your concept of God.

As an ex-professor I can say with absolute authority that professors are often wrong.

Of course, some students also may be wrong.

Since God seems to exist or not to exist in a mental realm anyway--perhaps arguing about His/Her sex or body may not really be relevant at all.

Best wishes for your blogging.