Friday, March 6, 2009

Ron, I am bothered!

Do you watch Biggest Loser?

Ron, the father on the brown team, had gastric bypass surgery. It did not work. He made a comment on the show this past week that surgery was the easy way...UMM! What?!?! Can I say both my mom and I just looked at each other and about went off at the TV.

This idea that America has that having weigh loss surgery is 'Easy' can I say "Hell No, it is not." I have been on many diets. I will say my mom brought up I should look into surgery at the time she was getting her's done. At the time I was not ready. At the time I felt like I could still lose weight without the need of surgery. I will admit I had the wrong idea of the surgery. Until my mom had it. Until I started going to the support groups with her. I started thinking about having it done. I must say I was at the lowest I have ever been when I realized I needed to have the surgery. It was hard. Since the surgery I have never worked so hard to lose weight.

The surgery is a tool in losing weight. You still have to exercise at least 5 days a week for 30 minutes a day. You still have to watch calories. Yes you can lose weight just by having the surgery. But in the long run you won't be successful. (For example, Ron, he never learned how to be successful). Okay. I will get off my soap box. That really bothered me.

4 comments:

susette said...

Biggest Loser is my all time favorite show of the century! My life revolves around watching it every Tuesday evening. Ron is a truly sweet daddy and my heart goes out to him for his struggles. He has failed so many times and I am SOOO curious what he is going to look like at the finale. I wonder if all the things he's learning at the ranch will really help him. I would think that the bypass surgery would be the ultimate tool for helping someone, so I'm surprised he's so large. Well, maybe not since he didn't continue working at his fitness. I also agree that no matter how much weight a person needs to lose it's always going to be a challenge to maintain that weight loss. I firmly believe in exercise for life! Now I just wish I could get a grip on eating correctly for life! I sure wish I didn't love food so much.♥

April said...

ABSOLUTELY!!!

I thought that getting the lap band would be a really amazing thing that never made me get hungry, and made me be full faster so I wouldn't want to eat more.

Let me tell you - 90% of MY eating is psychological. I physically FEEL full after probably a bite or two - yet I keep eating and eating until I feel like I am going to barf. (Which isn't very much food since I have the band in anyway, but probably the same amount as an average person.) It's not the "feeling hungry" or "feeling full" part as much as it is a complete change of mind.

I am still working on the "change of mind" part as that is the hardest. I got the lap band three months ago and have only lost one pant size and 3 lbs. (20 lbs since two weeks pre-op.) I could have lost it faster on a low carb diet!

But again - it's DEFINETLY mental.

Sorry...*steps down off soapbox too*

Surgery is DEFINETLY not the easy way out - and I would argue that it's even MORE difficult because you can rarely gague when you SHOULD be eating, when you're "full", when you're satisfied, when you're REALLY hungry and not just "head" hungry...it's TOUGH.

heather said...

I think that is probably exactly WHY it didn't work for him, because he thought it would be easy -and he obviously wasn't ready to make all the crazy necessary life style changes that it requires, you know?

Walters Family said...

YOU GO GIRL!! Yes, I am right with you. I had some misconceptions on the bypass but it isn't a miracle cure. You still have watch your calories and exercise... bottom line... 3500 calories makes a pound, you have to eat less and move more NO MATTER what tool you are using. Ron really, really frustrates me with his comments about the bypass surgery. He obviously thought it would be a cure all, which it is NOT. It is just a TOOL... HELLO!