The Count of Monte Cristo
Edmond: Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you: as Albert Mondego, the man!
________________________________________________________
Edmond: There are 72,519 stones in my walls. I've counted them many times.
Abbe Faria: But have you named them yet?
________________________________________________________
Edmond: There are 72,519 stones in my walls. I've counted them many times.
Abbe Faria: But have you named them yet?
Edmond: If you ever presume to interfere in my affairs again, I will, I promise you, finish the job I started the day we met! Do you understand?
Jacopo: I understand you are mad.
Edmond: Mad? My enemies are falling into my traps perfectly!
Jacopo: Mad, your grace, for not seeing this: you have a fortune, a beautiful woman who loves you. Take the gold, take the woman, and live your life! Stop this plan, take what you have won!
Edmond: I can't.
Jacopo: Why not?
Jacopo: I understand you are mad.
Edmond: Mad? My enemies are falling into my traps perfectly!
Jacopo: Mad, your grace, for not seeing this: you have a fortune, a beautiful woman who loves you. Take the gold, take the woman, and live your life! Stop this plan, take what you have won!
Edmond: I can't.
Jacopo: Why not?
Albert Mondego: Who are you, and why are you doing this? Luigi: We are bad men, and for the money!
_________________________________________________________
Fernand: You pleased me some of the time.
Mercedes: You never pleased me.
Mercedes: What's wrong? Fernand: I'm bankrupt. All my debts have been called in. Also, I am to be arrested.
Mercedes: For what?
Fernand: Piracy, corruption, and murder.
Mercedes: Did you do all these things?
Fernand: Yes. But there's simply not the time to talk about it. The gendarmes are on their way, apparently, so hurry up and pack something.
Mercedes: I'm not going with you, Fernand.
[Fernand turns towards her and angrily breaks a mirror]
Fernand: [Panting] You are my wife. I have made arrangements for us. We shall be very well taken care of. Now go and find my son.
[Fernand walks briskly away from Mercedes]
Mercedes: He's not your son.
[Fernand stops dead in his tracks]
Fernand: I beg your pardon?
Mercedes: Albert Mondego is the son of Edmond Dantes.
[pause]
Mercedes: Why do you think I rushed off so quickly to marry you when Edmond was taken away?
Fernand: [staring blankly in full realization] Premature.
[Fernand steps towards Mercedes and stares piercingly down at her]
Fernand: Well, aren't you a piece of work? So he's the bastard son of a dead traitor?
[Mercedes smirks]
Fernand: He always was disappointing.
Luigi: We shall call him... Zatarra. Edmond: Sounds fearsome.
Luigi: It means, "driftwood."
_______________________________________________________
Dorleac: Now you're thinking, just now "Why me, O God?". The answer is, God has nothing to do with it. In fact, God is never in France this time of year.
Fernand: Monte Cristo! Edmond: King's to you, Fernand.
Fernand: Edmond? How did you...
Edmond: How did I escape? With difficulty. How did I plan this moment? With pleasure!
Fernand: So you've taken Mercedes.
Edmond: And everything else. Except your life.
Fernand: Why are you doing this?
Edmond: [pauses, remembering what Fernand said when he asked why he betrayed him] It's complicated. Let's just say it's vengeance for the life that you stole from me.
_________________________________________________________
Napoleon: In life, we are kings or pawns.
Mercedes: I don't know what dark plan lies within you. Nor do I know by what design we were asked to live without each other these 16 years. But God has offered us a new beginning...Edmond: God?
Mercedes: Don't slap His hand away.
Edmond: Can I never escape Him?
Mercedes: No, He is in everything. Even in a kiss.







1 comment:
don't you love mercedes in this movie? her voice is beautiful.
the book is so much better than the movie but this is definitely a fantastic movie.
Post a Comment