Thursday, July 2, 2009

Movie Quote Friday!

Sense and Sensibility

Mrs. Dashwood: Why so grave? You disapprove her choice?
Marianne: By no means. Edward is very amiable.
Mrs. Dashwood: Amiable? But?
Marianne: There is something wanting. He's too sedate. His reading last night...
Mrs. Dashwood: Elinor has not your feelings. His reserve suits her.
Marianne: Can he love her? Can the soul be really be satisfied with such polite affections? To love is to burn - to be on fire, like Juliet or Guinevere or Eloise...
Mrs. Dashwood: They made rather pathetic ends, dear.
Marianne: Pathetic? To die for love? How can you say so? What could be more glorious?
Mrs. Dashwood: I think that would be taking your romantic sensibilities a little far.
[Edward and Elinor are baiting Margaret, who is playfully hiding]
Edward Ferrars: I wish to check the position of the Nile. My sister tells me it is in South America.
Elinor Dashwood: No. She's quite wrong, for I believe it is in Belgium.
Edward Ferrars: You must be thinking of the Volga.
Margaret: The Volga?
Elinor Dashwood: Of course, the Volga. Which, as you know, starts in...
Edward Ferrars: Vladivostock, and ends in...
Elinor Dashwood: Wimbledon.
Edward Ferrars: Precisely. Where the coffee beans come from.
Margaret: The source of the Nile is in Abyssinia.
_____________________________________________________
Elinor Dashwood
: Margaret has always wanted to travel.
Edward Ferrars: I know. She's heading an expedition to China shortly. I'm to go as her servant. But only on the understanding that I am to be very badly treated.
Elinor Dashwood: What will your duties be?
Edward Ferrars: Sword fighting, obviously, administering rum and swabbing.
Elinor Dashwood: And which of these will take precedence?
Edward Ferrars: Swabbing, I imagine
_________________________________________________________
Edward Ferrars: Perhaps Margaret is right. Piracy is our only option. Mrs. Dashwood: You must miss him Elinor.
Elinor Dashwood: We are not engaged Mamma.
Mrs. Dashwood: But he loves you dearest, of that I am sure.
Elinor Dashwood: I am by no means assured of his regard and even were he to feel such a preference I think we should both be very foolish to assume that there would not be many obstacles to his marrying a woman of no rank who cannot afford to buy sugar.
Mrs. Dashwood: But Elinor, your heart must tell you...
Elinor Dashwood: In such a case it is perhaps better to use one's head.
Elinor Dashwood: Did he tell you he loved you?
Marianne: Yes... no. Never absolutely. It was everyday implied but never declared. John Willoughby: Brandon is the sort of man everyone speaks well of, but no one remembers to talk to.
Edward Ferrars: Your friendship has been the most important of my life.
Elinor Dashwood: You will always have it. Edward Ferrars: My heart is, and always will be, yours.


Photobucket

4 comments:

heather said...

Elenore: I do not deny that I like him. That I admire him. That I esteem him greatly.

Merianne: [some thing about insipid words.]


-I used to have that seen memorized and now I don't. But I still love it. AND the movie.

Alyssa said...

can you believe i watched that for the first time ever yesterday!

Kylee said...

you always pick the best movies!!! this ones a classic :)

shilvia said...

i've seen this at least a dozen time!!!! love love love...