Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Half Broke Horses


I joined the Slow Readers Book Club a while back and this was the first book we read.
Half Broke Horses.
Its not normally a book I would pick up.
Overall- I liked it.
I will say I had a hard time getting into it.
But around page 30 something I just couldn't put it down.
I would definitely recommend reading it.
Maybe not buying it.
But reading it for sure.
I did enjoy that it took place {for a large part} in Arizona.
The book is about Jeanette's grandmother. Lily.
It is a true life story.
I found Lily to be completely inspiring.
I wish I knew her.

I am now interested in reading some of Jeanette's other work.

9 comments:

Americanising Desi said...

:) and i havent been a reader at all!

Diana said...

This was harder to get into but it did hook me. You must read the Glass Castle, it's amazing!

Jessica/Patrick said...

See, and I liked Half Broke Horses more then I liked Glass Castle.
Or at least I think I did. . .

heather said...

Now that I see it's the same author as The Glass Castle, I'm very curious. The Glass Castle was worth the read to me, but it was also the most emotionally painful book I've ever read. And that includes books like The Diary of Anne Frank.

I'll have to add Half Broke Horse to my list.

Anonymous said...

It's really interesting - a lot of the Slow Readers' gals have been saying that this isn't a book they normally would have picked up. It's not something I likely would have found very easily - I'd never heard of Jeannette Walls - but ranching, American West, sassy heroinne - this is totally my kind of read!!

Micaela said...

i actually didn't think i would like it because of the whole ranch setting etc. but it surprised me. I generally go for more emotion in describing situations but the author's style of matter-of-factness was so punchy, i was hooked.

the part about her sister? that was probably my favorite part.

and even the author's note at the end describing why she called it a novel instead... BRILLIANT. :)

Brittany said...

i definitely want to read glass castle now! by the end, i was pretty interested to find out what happened to rosemary and rex.

Liska said...

Great review!

TIERAsta said...

Another great review! I really can't wait to finish the book, now more than ever :)