Thursday, March 11, 2010

Movie Quote Friday!

Stardust

Narrator: A philosopher once asked, "Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are human?" Pointless, really... ”Do the stars gaze back?" Now *that's* a question.
Tristan: You know you sort of - glitter sometimes. I've just noticed it. Is it... Is it normal?
Yvaine: Let's see if you can work it out for yourself. What do stars do?
Tristan: Hmm... Attract trouble?
[Yvaine pushes him, amused]
Tristan: [grinning] All right, I'm sorry. Let me... Do I get another guess? Is it: Do they know exactly how to annoy a boy called Tristran Thorn?
[Tristan and Yvaine are imprisoned in the pirate ship]
Yvaine: Tell me about Victoria, then.
Tristan: Well, she... she... There's nothing more to tell you.
Yvaine: The little I know about love is that it's unconditional. It's not something you can buy.
Tristan: Hang on! This wasn't about me buying her love. This was a way for me to prove to her how I felt.
Yvaine: Ah... And what's she doing to prove how she feels about you?
Tristan: Well... Look, Yvaine, you'll understand when you meet her, all right? If we don't get murdered by pirates first.
Yvaine: Mmm... Murdered by pirates. Heart torn out and eaten. Meet Victoria. I can't quite decide which sounds more fun... Guard: Dunstan Thorn, not again!
Tristan: It's Tristan, actually.
Guard: Oh. You do look a bit like your father. And I suppose you intend to cross the wall as well, do you? Well you can forget it - go home!
Tristan: Cross the wall as well as who?
Guard: No one. Nobody.
[Tristan walks to cross the wall]
Guard: Nobody crosses the wall! You know that! Everybody knows that.
Tristan: You know, I know. I understand. Nobody. Well I better head for the old homestead, then.
Guard: Good night, then. Good night, Tristan.
Tristan: Good night.
[Tristan begins to walk away]
Guard: Give my best to your father.
[Tristan turns around and runs to cross the wall like Dunstan had done but the guard stops him and begins to hit him with his wooden cudgel. Tristan ends up on the ground]
Guard: [casually] Off you go. Voice of the stars: [to Tristan as he's sleeping, causing him to see it] Tristan. Tristan. Yvaine is in grave danger. A unicorn came to help her, but now they're heading into a trap. No star is safe in Stormhold. The last one fell 400 years ago and was captured by the same witches who seek Yvaine now. They tricked her, cared for her, and when her heart was once more aglow they cut it from her chest and ate it.
[he jerks awake]
Voice of the stars: There's no time to waste. A coach is coming. By any means possible you must get on it. Run!
[the pirates have just discovered Captain Shakespeare in drag]
Skinny Pirate: What's the problem?
Captain Shakespeare: It's my reputation.
Skinny Pirate: No. No. Don't be silly. Nonsense.
Old Pirate: It's all right, Captain. We always knew you were a whoopsie.
Captain Shakespeare: [whispers] Yvaine... I know what you are.
[Yvaine starts]
Captain Shakespeare: Have no fear, no-one on this vessel will harm you, but there are plenty who would... Your emotions give you away, Yvaine. You must learn to control them. You've been glowing more brightly every day and I think you know why.
Yvaine: Of course I know why I'm glowing. I'm a star! And what the stars do best?
Captain Shakespeare: Well, certainly not the waltz.
[Tristan approaches to dance with Yvaine. When they start to dance, Yvaine begins to glow. While they dance, they stop]
Tristan: Now try.
Yvaine: OK.
[he dances pretty well with her]
Tristan: See?
Yvaine: Very good.
[they keep dancing] Yvaine: You know when I said I knew little about love? That wasn't true. I know a lot about love. I've seen it, centuries and centuries of it, and it was the only thing that made watching your world bearable. All those wars. Pain, lies, hate... It made me want to turn away and never look down again. But when I see the way that mankind loves... You could search to the furthest reaches of the universe and never find anything more beautiful. So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing, and... What I'm trying to say, Tristan is... I think I love you. Is this love, Tristan? I never imagined I'd know it for myself. My heart... It feels like my chest can barely contain it. Like it's trying to escape because it doesn't belong to me any more. It belongs to you. And if you wanted it, I'd wish for nothing in exchange - no gifts. No goods. No demonstrations of devotion. Nothing but knowing you loved me too. Just your heart, in exchange for mine.

{I did this one for Natalie. I saw that its one of her favorites.}

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I Love this movie :) It makes me think anything is possible lol and it makes me smile for 2 1/2 hours ;)

Belen said...

I need to watch this! A lot of my friends said they didn't like it, but you're one of two that really enjoyed it, so I need to get myself a copy.

Americanising Desi said...

and i never had the chance to watch this!

David and Natalie Reheis said...

Ah!!!! Thank you!!! I LOVE it so much!!!

Anonymous said...

i can't beleive i have never seen this. i adore claire danes.

Anonymous said...

i can't beleive i have never seen this. i adore claire danes.