(500) Days of Summer
Narrator: This is a story of boy meets girl. The boy, Tom Hansen of Margate, New Jersey, grew up believing that he'd never truly be happy until the day he met the one. This belief stemmed from early exposure to sad British pop music and a total mis-reading of the movie 'The Graduate'. The girl, Summer Finn of Shinnecock, Michigan, did not share this belief. Since the disintegration of her parent's marriage she'd only love two things. The first was her long dark hair. The second was how easily she could cut it off and not feel a thing. Tom meets Summer on January 8th. He knows almost immediately she is who he has been searching for. This is a story of boy meets girl, but you should know upfront, this is not a love story.
Partygoer: So Tom, what is it that you do?Tom: I uh, I write greeting cards.
Summer: Tom could be a really great architect if he wanted to be.
Partygoer: That's unusual, I mean, what made you go from one to the other?
Tom: I guess I just figured, why make something disposable like a building when you can make something that last forever, like a greeting card.
________________________________________________________
Tom: What happens when you fall in love?
Summer: You believe in that?
Tom: It's love, it's not Santa Claus.
Tom: It's official. I'm in love with Summer.Tom: I love her smile. I love her hair. I love her knees. I love how she licks her lips before she talks. I love her heart-shaped birthmark on her neck. I love it when she sleeps.
Rachel Hansen: Just because she's likes the same bizzaro crap you do doesn't mean she's your soul mate._________________________________________________________
Tom: [Montage of Summer] I hate her crooked teeth. I hate the way she smacks her lips. I hate her knooby knees. I hate that cockroach shape splotch on her neck.
[Fade to black]
Tom: [Swayze's She's Like the Wind plays briefly] I HATE THIS SONG!
Bus Driver: [Open to Tom standing while bus comes to a sudden stop] Sir, you need to get off the bus.
Rachel Hansen: Better that you find this out now before you come home and find her in bed with Lars from Norway.Tom: Who's Lars from Norway?
Rachel Hansen: He's some guy she met at the gym with Brad Pitt's face and Jesus' abs.
Rachel Hansen: Tom, I know you think she was the one, but I don't. Next time you look back, I think you should look again.
Tom: Look, we don't have to put a label on it. That's fine. I get it. But, you know, I just... I need some consistency.Summer: I know.
Tom: I need to know that you're not gonna wake up in the morning and feel differently.
Summer: And I can't give you that. Nobody can.
Summer: I woke up one morning and I just knew.Tom: Knew what?
Summer: What I was never sure of with you.
{I love both the main actors in this movie...and that last line..a serious sucker punch to the gut}






7 comments:
still haven't seen this movie :/ I really really want to!!
Oh my gosh! I loooveeed this movie. I did see it for a second time right after my ex-bf and I broke up... Not the best idea. Oh well.
I JUST rented this movie last night! Haven't watched it yet, but it's on my to do list for today!
this movie was seriously the most realistic "love" movie i've ever seen. it's so refreshing and edgy... and real.
unlike the movies with 2 characters suddenly realizing that he/she is in love with the other, so they run through the streets of New York to find their "love", followed with a cheesy dialogue pretty much summarizing the plot of the movie, and finally, a romantic, completely unrealistic kiss at the end in front of alot of people in a completely awkward setting.
this was not that movie. and i LOVED it.
yay for friday!!!
oh krissa, YES that last line... man oh man. When i watched it i nearly cried because it seems so simple, but hearing that line in the movie that day... made me realize so much about my last heart-ache.
i love this movie because it's refreshing that sometimes, unfortunately what you think is real and hope to be the fairy tale of your life, isn't when you look back.
LOVE LOVE LOVE your movie quote Fridays, but esp. this one!
ps. i've missed you while i've been moving... CAN YOU BELIEVE I'M ENGAGED!?!?! :) i'm still pinching myself. THANK YOU for your well wishes dearest girl, and your help in my move away from my twin sis :( HUGS! XOXO
I hate this movie.
the end.
this put the biggest smile on my face! i love love love this movie!
xx
Post a Comment