Wednesday, January 27, 2010

a unique birthday

My grandparents {on my Mom’s side} had a cabin up in Strawberry.
We would go visit, frequently when I was younger.
I remember helping my grandma make something in the kitchen.
I can’t even think of how old I was at the time. I know I was younger than 8.
But I remember this pot she had.
It was sadly looking.
A handle broken. And so old.
I remember just feeling so badly for it.
And I remember wondering “do pots have birthdays?”
{I have no idea why I thought this, the mind of a child}
But my grandma and I threw a birthday party for that Pot.
I think we even baked it a cake.
And every time I see that pot I think of that day we threw it a birthday party.
I cherish that memory!
{Thanks Grandma for making that happen}

{edit: i changed the title. i got a comment from a bloggy friend pointing out the obvious of the previous title "the birthday pot" well...i dont want people coming her looking for that other kind of pot. they would be sorely disappointed.}

8 comments:

Jules AF said...

I know you didn't mean it this way, but that totally just makes me think of pot like marijuana.

Genavee said...

That's adorable. My Mom used to get me to clean my room by threatening to lock my toys in a closet. It wasn't a huge deal for me to not be able to play with them, nut I didn't want them to be scared in the dark closet. I didn't exactly leave me with warm fuzzy feelings towards Mom, but my room did get cleaned.

Callie said...

Girl that is such a sweet story! I'm so glad you shared it!

Anonymous said...

i love memories like that! how great.

Micaela said...

I love how you share your memories.

and i GIGGLED at the POT edit title. lol

you are the CUTEST!!!

and bless your grandma's heart.

Alyssa said...

Thats a really sweet memory :)

Americanising Desi said...

awwww sweet sweet memories :)

heather said...

birthday pot!! that would've certainly brought some disappointment for google searchers!!

And you made that pot special just by celebrating it!

What a fun memory & what a fantastic grandpa for celebrating that with you! A cake and everything. TOo cool.