Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Confession!

I have never liked the term “best friend”.
I am not entirely sure why.
I am completely okay with others using it…
I {however} always feel uncomfortable using it myself.
There might be a couple reasons:

1. People I would have termed as my “best friends” {in the end} took advantage of me. “Best Friends” don’t do that.

2. I would always feel uncomfortable using that term in front of other friends. Like somehow it hurts them. Like they aren’t good enough to be termed that. {yes, I do worry and think about how things affect other people, when probably they don’t even think of it themselves.}

So I {personally} just don’t use that term.
I do have AMAZING friends. Very dear friends, true friends. {Don’t get me wrong there.}
I just don’t like that term.

10 comments:

Micaela said...

it's a tricky term... especially when you've been let down :( those hurts don't ever go away.

amazing friends sounds better anyway ;)

Belen said...

I really have to agree. A lot of people use it too loosely. I've had a few "best friends" in the past, and they all turn out to hurt me too. There's one especially that I'm still working on getting over.

I think that's how my bes pren and I earned our titles for each other. I've hurt her once in the past, but we worked it out and realized we both too close for any mistakes. It was only after that experience that we realized we really WERE "BEST" friends. :)

Jules AF said...

I just am like, do you only have one best friend or can you have more?!? That's my problem.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it would just be easier to call someone your amazing friend instead of a best friend. Those seem to be fleeting. And maybe the more you put faith in that friend, the more room for disappointment? Or perhaps I'm just projecting my current frustrations...

Whatever it was that spurred this post on, I hope things turn around for you.

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} said...

i totally know what you mean! i use the term without thinking and then, afterwards, i gag at myself for using it.. one of the reasons i'm not a fan of it is because i feel like it sounds so juvenile and high school and i HATED high school!

emma wallace said...

I remember being in elementary school and being relegated from "best friend" to "second-best" and then "next-best." Umm... not a high point in my life!

Plus, one friend is best for some things and not for others! So, yes, I agree!

Great post.

iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

Alyssa said...

I get ya. I have a theory that anyone you say is your best friend is going to stab you in the back.. so its nicer for you both to just know you are close but not acknowledge the term.

Anonymous said...

i can agree with this...
because after all the "term" doesn't make them that. They either are or they aren't and you don't have to give titles to what you already know is true...

Erin Cox said...

I agree with you! I am hesitant to use that term for the same reasons. However, i have found that if you say "one of my best friends" people seem to take it better...

amazing friends is probably the best way though ; )

Amanda said...

Ya know that totally makes sense lol I unfortunetly have used the term "Best friend" a ton of times that it is now stuck in my head :( Lol I actually feel bad now that I've thought about it in a different point of view